A Resource for Understanding Anxiety
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is the mind and body’s reaction to stressful, dangerous, or unfamiliar situations. It’s the sense of uneasiness, distress, or dread you feel before a significant event. It could be sitting an exam, a break up or worrying about a potentially awkward social occasion. In these situations, you could say it is a natural emotional response that can help us prepare for the challenges ahead.
How Anxiety Works
This video is designed to help you to understand how anxiety and your mind works.
Why could I be experiencing it every day and for no apparent reason?
This level of anxiety feels far from normal – it can be completely debilitating.
It can result in a disproportionate response of intense and persistent dread. Such anxiety can have an enormous effect on the quality of life of the individual and the impact can extend to involve the family and friends of the sufferer. Sometimes the level of anxiety is so intense that a panic attack is triggered.
How to recognise if I am suffering from anxiety?
The following are some common symptoms:
- Increased sweating especially of the palms and night sweats
- Headaches- generally due to increased tightening of the muscles in the back of the neck
- Restlessness and fidgeting
- Hyperventilation or over breathing due to taking short wispy breaths (as opposed to deep belly breathing)
- Loss of sleep
- Loss of appetite, nausea and diarrhea
- Many sufferers of anxiety believe that they are becoming insane (but there is no connection between anxiety and insanity)
- Thought patterns become very negative. Pessimism prevails
- Concentration and memory are both affected – the mind is distracted
- a need for more space
- Drinking more alcohol to combat the feelings of unease. Although alcohol may reduce anxiety levels initially its main effect is to unsettle them further. Its main impact is on the nervous system
- Cigarette smokers will often smoke more when they are anxious
- A state of increased arousal and always alert and on guard
- Avoidance – such as missing school or work
- Argumentative and aggressive with family and friends, it takes very little to provoke these outbursts
- Feeling very exposed and self-conscious
A Solution to Anxiety
I use a blend of techniques (Neuro Linguitic Programming, Quantum Release and Energy Healing) to get to the root cause of anxiety and break the pattern. I work closely with your sub-conscious mind to find where the pattern first establised and then we can disarm it.
My own story of anxiety
Would you believe it is actually possible to have anxiety and not be aware of it.
I know this from experience, this actually happened to me. I often felt sick or had butterflies in my tummy and thought that was just normal. Feeling nervous was very common for me generally but would heighten with new people, situations or when I had to move out of my comfort zone.
It wasn’t until it peaked at a nine or ten out of ten that I realized it. In fact, when my doctor first diagnosed it – it came as “news” to me. But yea, looking back and knowing what I know now – I actually had anxiety all of my life.
It would swing from feeling anxious to getting into a depressed state. How it worked was, I would feel nervous in my tummy and sick and have nonstop negative thoughts and then I would have to retreat from the world and people (even friends) as I needed to be alone to conserve my energy as the anxiety and mind racing was taking and zapping all of my energy.
The result of this was I would then drop into a low mood or depressed state. When I would feel better again, I would dust myself down and “come out to play” or “show up” again.
Going through it was a living hell. I was putting on a front while working my way through it. No one knew what I was feeling inside. It was a very lonely and scary place. I knew on some level that I was just existing – not living!
If you are currently experienceing symptoms of anxiety in your daily life and would like to explore a solution, please feel free to contact me here